For years I have been telling myself that I want to beautify my sewing space. I always see these gorgeous studios on social media and think, “Gah, I would love to have a pretty space to sit in while I work.” The truth is while functionally my sewing space is fabulous, I really haven’t done all that much to decorate it. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE, repeat, LOVE my studio. I have a large space with all my things within arms reach and I am extremely grateful for that. It really does make all the difference.
Despite its functionality, my space does lack decor in my opinion. I have done a couple of things to make my space prettier but not very much. I recovered my sewing chair and ironing board, displayed my collection of tiny sewing machines, and organized the bookshelf. But this. This sewing machine cover just might send me into studio beautification mode overdrive. I think this is the kickstarter I needed to initiate “Project Studio”.
I knew as soon as I saw this pattern that I had to make it. I was perusing Craftsy for a pouch pattern to give to my Schnitzel & Boo swap partner when I stumbled across it. I knew it was a big add-on but once I get ideas like this in my head it becomes like an itch that must be scratched. I HAD to make her one. She would never expect it. I love surprises like that. When you give someone something and they’re blown away because it was just so much more than they were expecting. THE. BEST. So I went for it and this was the result. The Mustang Print was used for the lining.
Note: This pattern has since been removed from Craftsy but can still be found on here on Etsy
I knew immediately that I had to make another. I decided to make a few changes to the pattern that I thought would improve the structure of it a bit and make it more rigid. The pattern called for three layers of batting to give it body but I still felt like it still needed more. I used the most rigid Pellon product I could find at Joann’s (Peltex 71F) in addition to the thickest, heaviest stabilizer I could find. I sew on a Juki 8700 industrial sewing machine and I was confident that it could handle the bulk. This is what I was up against.
The second time around I chose to alter the way the pattern instructed to do the lining and I went with a quilted version instead. I thought this would save me time but the bias-bound inside seams ate up whatever time I thought I would save. Despite the fact that it didn’t save time I much preferred the look of the lining in the second version so I was ok with not saving the time. It gave it a much more professional-looking finish. I also added a handle to the top.
Another structural change I made to help with rigidity was to insert heavy gauge steel wires into the binding along the bottom edge and it made a huge difference. You can see the difference below where two of the four sides had the wires in place.
I saved my favorite detail for last…
I am so pleased with the way this little project turned out. My Juki 8700 fits perfectly inside. I have been needing a cover for my machine for…I don’t’ know… ten years. Here she Is all tidy in her little house.
Note: I made some significant departures from the pattern regarding structure, but none to the appearance. the Original pattern can be found on Etsy by the Rainbow Hare. If you have any questions about the changes I made please comment or send me an email.